The underlying issue is that the implementation of OS X dynamic linking is
dependent system architecture. As I understand it, OS X 10.5.8 has a 32 bit
kernel, so its dynamic linking is not forward-compatible with 64 bit OS X
versions, for which SHELX-2013 seems to built.

Also, to be fair, it's not as if Linux users have ever been able to migrate
from from 32 bit to 64 bit without a complete system overhaul.

So while I believe that OS X may not be the optimal OS of the future, the 32/64
bit incompatibility should not be blamed as the reason.

James

p.s. What I don't understand is why the dynamic loader was ever needed in the
first place. As a "zero dependency" program, wouldn't it make sense just to
statically compile all of the SHEL* programs at the cost of a little bigger
downloads?