On Thursday, 12 June, 2014 20:24:43 Joel Tyndall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw Jeffs post with interest and have held off until now.  It is relatively
> easy to find structures with bad geometry for small molecules but it does not
> do any good simply pointing them out. What I believe is needed is a way to
> fix the problem. There are several possible ways. The pdb could parse new
> structures through a checking process to check the geometry of small
> molecules. This, I would presume, could be done via the CSD.

As of January 2014 this is indeed being done as part of the PDB deposition
process.

Anyone who has deposited a structure containing a ligand this year has
probably been surprised, pleasantly or otherwise, by the table of geometry
violations/ouliers for each ligand.

If you missed the various announcements, you may wish to try it out on
your own structures here:

        http://wwpdb-validation.wwpdb.org/validservice/

> I also believe that cif file generation can be improved.

Indeed.  All of the library-generation tools I am aware of are flawed in
their own idiosyncratic ways.   I think I shall start a campaign to treat
errors in the cif libraries as "bugs", and encourage people to report
these bugs in the libraries we all use just as they do for bugs in the
programs we all use.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg