Hi,

I entirely agree with Phoebe. This is 2008 structure (publish date, so
refinement was probably done in 2007) - that is before all the new methods
and tools for low-res refinement became available.

Now, let's have a closer look... Given rather large amount of various
geometry outliers (in model taken straight from PDB):

Ramachandran plot, number of:
  outliers : 76    (16.52 %)
  allowed  : 120   (26.09 %)
  favored  : 264   (57.39 %)
Rotamer outliers        : 60 (15.27 %)
Cbeta deviations >0.25A : 6
All-atom clashscore     : 53.54

it is unlikely for conventional gradient-driven refinement tools to correct
them (since correcting some of them requires jumping over energy barriers).

Now, if I idealize the model geometry using 2mFo-DFc map as restraint:

phenix.real_space_refine 3bd.pdb map.ccp4 run=minimization_global+morphing
morphing=every_macro_cycle

I get the model that still fits the map as well as staring model (starting
map CC vs final map CC: 0.737/0.782) but has outliers virtually gone:

 Ramachandran plot:
   outliers : 1.52  %
   allowed  : 19.35 %
   favored  : 79.13 %
 Rotamer outliers : 0.00 %
 Cbeta deviations : 0
 All-atom clashscore : 17.09

Now if I run this model through reciprocal space refinement so that it fits
the Fobs data under restraints to preserve good input geometry
(phenix.refine with rotamer and secondary-structure restraints, weights
optimization), I get the model that still has reasonable geometry:

 Ramachandran plot:
   outliers : 1.74  %
   allowed  : 20.22 %
   favored  : 78.04 %
 Rotamer outliers : 0.00 %
 Cbeta deviations : 0
 All-atom clashscore : 18.16

with R-factors

R-work = 0.3012, R-free = 0.3518

that are slightly better than published (0.292/0.374, taken from PDB).

Bottom line in my opinion is: we can't really blame rather old(ish) models
for not using modern improved methods, but there is no excuse for not using
these methods today!

All the best,
Pavel