Once more to those who feel offended by the structures in discussion:

I’d be very careful at judging low resolution structures. This is a tricky
business

requiring a lot more info than just the PDB validation report. The 3+ to 4 A

resolution range is a particularly deceptive one: The crystallographer does not
have

much data given the model parameters (perhaps consulting his figure showing

determinacy for coordinate refinement might help)

http://www.ruppweb.org/Garland/gallery/Ch12/pages/Biomolecular_Crystallography_Fig_12-11.htm

At this resolution one has about enough data to keep enthusiasm up but at the
same time it is

not quite yet bad enough to throw up the hands and admit that that one is de
facto modelling with

a few X-ray restraints (i.e. data), requiring correspondingly suitable
refinement protocols (and discipline,

aka mental restraints in addition to stereochemical restraints).

One is easily spoiled by looking exceptional 2A structures of huge complexes,
but

nature (I do not mean the journal but the same time would not exclude it) is
often cruel.

Particularly in Molecular Replacement structures, and here particularly in
those with multi-

segment/domain models, there are almost always parts that fit well and others

that fit poorly -  with simply not enough data at the given resolution to
improve the poor parts

sans additional phase information. Bias issues have been discussed and need not
be iterated here.

Pavel is correct in pointing out that a model with better geometry is also a
more plausible model.

What we cannot tell sans supporting density is whether it is a more accurate
model, although I have

rarely seen an improvement in geometry giving worse density fit. Usually a mess
remains a mess -

there is (at this resolution) no free lunch. The key question is again – does
the model justify

the specific conclusions drawn from it? If a poor model is better than no model
at all, be it, as long

as this is recognized and not used as an excuse for careless work. Facile
dictu, difficile factu.

Best, BR

For every sufficiently complex problem there is an answer that is simple, clear
and wrong.

LH Mencken