If I remember correctly, Triton X-100 (or any other surfactant for that matter)
is a bad idea for protein intended for crystallography. I can't remember the
paper, but I'm sure I read that somebody showed it's basically impossible to
remove all of the surfactant molecules from the protein no matter how you
dialyse it. These large floppy molecules stick to your protein molecules and
interfere with methods such as mass spec and can hinder the crystallisation
process.

I'm not sure this is your case, but it might help. If your protein has a very
high (or low) PI, it will probably need a strongly ionic environment to be
stable. I work with nucleic acid binding proteins and in general I find they do
better in buffers with concentrations > 500 mM NaCl until all contaminating
proteins have been removed. Only after SEC do I lower the NaCl concentration to
between 50 and 150 mM NaCl (you'll need to test which final concentration works
best for your protein).

In any case, some precipitation is normal and you can easily remove it by
centrifugation. An ultracentrifuge works best, but even a benchtop centrifuge
for eppendorfs can remove most of the precipitate from your dialysed solution.

Best Regards,

Tony

Dr. Antonio Ariza
University of Oxford
Sir William Dunn School of Pathology
South Parks Road
Oxford
OX1 3RE
e-mail: antonio.ar...@path.ox.ac.uk<mailto:antonio.ar...@path.ox.ac.uk>
Tel: 00 +44 1865 285655

Links to my public profiles:
ResearchGate<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Antonio_Ariza>
LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/in/antonioariza1>
GoogleScholar<https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=9pAIKV0AAAAJ&hl=en>
Twitter<https://twitter.com/DrAntonioAriza?lang=en>

Check out my latest paper!!!
The toxin-antitoxin system DarTG catalyzes reversible ADP-ribosylation of
DNA<http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/abstract/S1097-2765(16)30722-5>