Hi Sutapa,
It is very difficult to predict protein solubility in advance. I have worked with different proteins using 'native' sequences and codon optimised 'synthetic' sequences. One of my protein was bHLH transcription factor from Sorghum and codon optimisation didn't rescue the problem of insolubility. I also tried MBP fusion for Arabidopsis protein in which case the protein was soluble after centrifugation but always end up in the void during SEC. My favourite method is coexpression with interacting partner that also requires patience and thorough optimisation but worth it. I have put the following reference for further reading
'Codon influence on protein expression in E. coli correlates with mRNA levels'
Best of lucks
Sinta
Quoting Sutapa Chakrabarti <chakr...@zedat.fu-berlin.de>:

Dear All,

We’re trying to express and purify a 1000 residue long protein and have run into the problem that it is completely insoluble when expressed in E.coli and is not expressed at all in insect cells. The usual tricks for improving solubility in E.coli, such as addition of GST/MBP tags, optimising expression media and induction conditions and use of different cell strains, have not led to any improvement.

We are now looking into ordering a codon-optimised synthetic gene for this protein and are trying to decide whether it would be worthwhile to codon-optimise for expression in E.coli (given that the protein was expressed but not soluble) or if we should attempt baculovirus expression again with a gene that has been codon-optimised for insect cells.

My question is:
has anyone observed an improvement in the solubility of their target protein using a codon optimised gene?

I know of several instances where the use of a codon-optimised gene has led to expression where the native gene sequence did not but am unable to find any references for improvement in solubility. Since codon optimisation significantly alters the translation rate of a gene, I believe this should affect solubility as well; but I’d like to know what the community thinks/has observed before I order an exorbitantly priced gene!

Thank you in advance,
Sutapa

--
Sutapa Chakrabarti, Ph.D.