Dear Keitaro,

I have come to the exact same conclusions, and the next version of XDS will
revert to the old refinement behavior.

As a preview, I've uploaded a fixed Linux binary (not the whole package, just
xds_par)  to
ftp://turn5.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/pub/xds/xds_par.refi_cell_position_together.bz2
 .

Thanks - also to Oliver for reporting the problem!

Kay