There is an autoproteolytic system out there which might be interesting for you. The protein goes to inclusion bodies and after refolding the fusion protein is cleaved off. As you know inclusion bodies have the big advantage that the protein is already very pure before the "real" purification is started.

"We describe a prokaryotic expression system using the autoproteolytic function of N^pro from classical swine fever virus. Proteins or peptides expressed as N^pro fusions are deposited as inclusion bodies. On/in vitro/refolding by switching from chaotropic to kosmotropic conditions, the fusion partner is released from the C-terminal end of the autoprotease by self-cleavage, leaving the target protein with an authentic N terminus. A tailor-made N^pro mutant called EDDIE, with increased/in vitro/and decreased/in vivo/cleavage rates, has enabled us to express proinsulin, domain-D of staphylococcal protein A, hepcidin, interferon-α1, keratin-associated protein 10-4, green fluorescent protein, inhibitorial peptide of senescence-evasion-factor, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and toxic gyrase inhibitor, among others. This N^pro expression system can be used as a generic tool for the high-level production of recombinant toxic peptides and proteins (up to 12 g/l) in/Escherichia coli/without the need for chemical or enzymatic removal of the fusion tag."

It would be interesting for me to hear if somebody is using this system regularly.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nmeth1116

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18026112

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23871287

If the protein is unstructured or refolds very easily adding harsh reagent to kill the remaining proteases is probably the best what can be done.

Br, Georg.

On 2018-09-20 22:17, Gloria Borgstahl wrote:
Hello, friends in crystallography,
A colleague just asked me this question.  He is worried about trace
protease interfering with the receptors he is studying in cell-based
experiments using a 110 amino acid protein we made for him.  He has
been unable to make the peptide synthetically.  The company is having
trouble getting that to happen.  Any ideas?  Happy Thursday, G