Almost certainly a metal ion, possibly Ni(2+) if a Ni-NTA column was used
for purification. Ni-N bond lengths are typically around 2.0 A. Additional
density is probably coordinated water molecules, which should have similar
Ni-O bond distances around 1.9 A. It is fairly common to find adventitious
metal ions (zinc, copper, nickel) bound to His residues.

Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor, Emeritus
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346