Human carbonic anhdydrase II is very expressible in *E. coli,* and
purifiable in one step via affinity chromatography with
para-aminobenzenesulfonamide affinity resin (which is relatively easy to
make, and reusable for many years.) It can be assayed by stopped-flow
spectrophotometry for CO2 hydration, by a timed colorimetric assay, or you
can investigate it's esterase activity with p-nitrophenylacetate. This
enzyme, as well as most other carbonic anhdydrases, is also easy to purify
by a classical combination of anion exchange (Q-sepharose), hydrophobic
interaction (butylsepharose), and gel exclusion polishing. The latter would
be a good exercise for students in general protein purification
optimization, which is an increasingly lost art. (Just had a conversation
with one of the protein chemists ast BioGen who pretty much observed the
same thing.) We routinely did classical purifications on tagless
overexpressed proteins for crystallography work. The time saved in His-Tag
purification is sometimes lost in cleaving the tag to make tagless protein
for crystallography.

A paper describing the purification procedure can be found in J. Chem. Ed. (
https://doi.org/10.1021/ed075p1021) for the similar bovine carbonic
anhydrase. An fun long-term undergraduate research training project might
involve improving the esterase activity through student-initiated point
mutations.

I did this kind of parallel protein mutation project with my students in a
biochemistry research training studio course I taught, often  with one of
my research target proteins. Teaching lab students can do all sorts of
crazy things you might never prioritize in your funded research. Some of
these crazy things turn out to be fun and interesting. One of my students
insisted on making a mutation in a protein that seemed to have low chances
of leading to a successful publication based on prior work. Lo and behold,
that mutation turned out to be gold, and he was published within the year.
I still can't believe it not only worked, but crystallized easily from the
first screen and optimization for structure determination. Go figure.

Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor, Emeritus
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346