On 05/01/2017 07:42 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
On May 1, 2017, at 12:38 AM, Guy Sotomayor Jr via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Just to let folks know that I finally moved the IBM 4331 Mainframe this past
weekend
from where it was currently stored to my shop.  Pictures are here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/150223282@N04/NrX91K
<https://www.flickr.com/gp/150223282@N04/NrX91K>

As can be seen in the pictures, it filled a 26’ box truck that I had rented for
this purpose.
Right now I just have it placed somewhat in my shop.  Some early tasks will be:
   * I have to verify that I have everything.  Even if I missed some items,
they won’t be
     scrapped.  I just need to go over what is currently in my shop and verify
that I didn’t
     leave anything behind.  I’m mostly worried about cables at this point.
  * I have to figure out some way to produce enough “clean” 3-phase power to
run the
    peripherals (the CPU is 220v single phase) as I only have 220v single phase
coming
    into my shop.
What do they use 3-phase for?  Motors?  I remember disk drives with 3 phase
motors.  If so, a VFD is a good low cost solution since those are specifically
designed for driving motors.

Some of the larger load devices may use actual 3-phase power supplies. So, the 3-phase power either runs through a 3-phase transformer, or is rectified and run through a switching converter to make the DC power. These could be pretty hard to reconfigure to run off single-phase power. (The IBM 360's use a "converter-inverter" that rectified the 3-phase 208V power to 300 V DC, and then inverted it to regulated 120 V 2.5KHz single-phase AC for the various power supplies.) Not sure if any of Guy's equipment use a similar scheme. The 2821 unit record control does use a LOT of power to run the 1403 printer.

Jon