If you put a picture up, just make sure it has a watermark all over it. If
you don't they will find a way of getting to the picture.

As to storing their selections. Seriously consider storing their current
selection in a DB, storing an id in a cookie. So that should they be
building an order over time, this information isn't lost should their
machine crash or something.

Also assume some MOST people want to shop by searching the description of
each photo (i.e. they only want pictures of one particular
player/team/car/animal/pvc/mud wrestling etc ;) ).

If I came to your site and wanted a picture, I do not want to look through
1000s of pictures 25 at a time.

I would also like to browse by event (navigating through sport types), but
mostly I would do keyword searches.