True - although the successes in this area all seem to be of the "try
this, but buy for more" variety.  The original "Doom" is often credited
with proving the success of the Shareware model: you got a nice, decent
length game for free but paying your $30 got you three more episodes and
the completion of the (admittedly superficial) story.

Other shareware successes are often of the "nagware" variety (Winzip,
PaintShop (which is now a commercial product), etc) or demoware (feature
or content limited versions).  All of this is pretty hard to do with CF
(even considering encryption since the encryption's so weak).

So, in general, if you can provide a working system that lacks some
features then offer more features for a price this may work.  If you're
just trying to provide cool component/app with payment optional don't
bet on making any money.

For example I started accepting optional payment (via Amazon) a year ago
for the components I offer on depressedpress.com - despite healthy
downloads I've made a grand total of one "sale" for $35.

I'm not going to get rich off of this.  ;^)

Jim Davis