> Thanks for the suggestion, I don't really care if they don't
> read the page, so long as I know that they requested the page
> and it all arrived at their browser. If the user stops a slow
> page download, will OnRequestEnd be triggered. I need to verify
> that everything arrived at the browser, which is why I'm
> concentrating on a Client side solution.

If you need to verify that an entire page was received and rendered by the
browser, you'll have to rely on a client-side solution using JavaScript that
returns data to the server. There's simply no other way.

> The point of getting notification that a user has seen his/her
> roster page is in case they decide to go AWOL after seeing they
> are rostered for a job they may not wish to do. We can therefore
> say that we know you seen you were rostered for job x and should
> have reported for duty. In this case, a button the user voluntarily
> clicks, won't work.

I'd argue that this is more a process problem than a programming problem.
Here's what I'd suggest.

1. Log the entry to the roster page, and inform users before entry that they
are responsible for any jobs listed in that roster page - if they can't get
it to display, then it's their responsibility to contact the roster manager
and ensure they're not listed.

2. Put a form on the roster page to allow users to indicate that they did
read the form. Use the ONUNLOAD event of the BODY tag to make it difficult
to leave the page without submitting the form.

3. If a user requested the roster page, but didn't complete the form, log
that information and take the appropriate response. What that response might
be is up to you - maybe an email notification, maybe a phone call from the
roster manager.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496