Jim Wright wrote:

> Is this perhaps a 4 CPU machine, with Task Manager set to show one graph
> for all, and with SQL server set to only use one CPU?

It's a dual CPU machine with hyperthreading.

Yeah, I didn't consider that the single graph would really just show an
average.  When viewed as 4 CPU graphs, the CPU usage is much more
erratic, spiking as high as 90%.

I guess it's possible that I'm having I/O issues.  I'll have to figure
out how to do real performance monitoring to find out for sure =)

My DTS package actually consists of about 50 completely independent
steps, none of which rely on each other for completion - there's no
workflow.  Each "step" consists of a group of Transact-SQL statements -
one to drop the existing table, one to recreate the table, one to do the
bulk insert from a text file, and then one or more to create indexes.

Usually there are 4 or 5 steps running simultaneously.

rick