When I worked for Microsoft in Seattle, WA, I was called a SDET
(Software Development Engineer in Test). Basically, Beta Tester. It
was Microsofts own language.

Other companies in the area would advertise "SDET" as well. They
weren't Microsoft, but those who were knowledgeable in the field in
that area knew what it was.

It's possible that SME means something special in that area of the
country and no where else.

Just sayin.