Incase anyone else has this problem. Here is something that worked for me,
not sure if it's the best way to do it but it's working.

my $select_contacts_query = "SELECT contact_email FROM monitor_contact WHERE
mc_id = $account_id";

        my $sth = $dbh->prepare($select_contacts_query);
        $sth->execute();
        my $contacts = $sth->fetchall_arrayref();
# 5 lines below helped.
        my @arry;
        my $ele;
        foreach $ele(@$contacts) {
        push @arry, @$ele;
        }
# 5 lines above helped.
        my $contact_list = $q->scrolling_list({-name=>'contacts',
                                              -values=>\@arry,
                                              -multiple=>'true'});