I'm not even sure this is the right forum but since we use mainly Cisco equipment I'll give this a shot. :) I have tried several centos based servers and compiled various kernels and the results have been extremely weird. 90% of the cases the remote hosts can download from a server at 1-5megabytes per second, and most of these are over the internet ranging from 30-200ms away. Local (1ms or less) is super fast 100MB/s for example. Ok that sounds normal since it's going over the internet, etc. But here's the )(!...@*! part.. If I set the port speed to 100 megabits full duplex on the switch and server , the clients that get 1-5MB/s now get 11MB/s which is approximately the limit of the 100mbit port. Totally stumped here, tried different nics, servers, even 4 different switches. Is a very interesting problem and I'm probing to see if anyone else has encountered it. So far the only OS i have tried is centos, but different versions and kernels and hardware. All the switches/routers are Cisco based, but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with this. :P

--
GloboTech Communications
Phone: 1-514-907-0050 x 215