This seems to be related to NFS, or maybe some interaction between docker and
NFS.

I set up django to do its own logging, and saw the same behavior.  Next I
connected to the docker node with "webservice --backend=kubernetes python3.7
shell" and append directly to the log file with "echo foo >> django.log".  It
still took 30 seconds or so to show up while I was tailing the file on the
bastion.