In my opinion, it's a no brainer: Drupal.  http://drupal.org

It's free/open source, it's got an amazing vibrant community.  It's got
an unbeatable feature set, an impeccable pedigree, and a massive future.

For those who care:
http://www.packtpub.com/article/2008-best-php-open-source-cms-drupal

Disclosure: my business has been doing Drupal development for 4 years,
and we're turning away work because we just don't have enough capacity
to meet demand - we want more people developing Drupal!

Dave

Phil Dodd wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to pick a CMS for an upcoming project.
>
> An essential requirement is that members of the site be able to choose
> from a list of content categories, then receive an email alert when
> content is added to any of these categories.
>
> Ideally, members would be able to choose between instant email alerts
> and/or weekly digests of all content that has been added to the site
> under the categories they choose.
>
> I would need to be able to customise the emails, via a template system.
>
> Does anyone know of any CMS systems that do this out of the box?
>
> If not, any recommendations as to a starting point to develop a
> customised system that would do this?
>
> My preference is for a LAMP based system.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Phil Dodd

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dave Lane = Egressive Ltd = [EMAIL PROTECTED] = m: +64 21 229 8147
p: +64 3 9633733 = Linux: it just tastes better = nosoftwarepatents
http://egressive.com ==== we only use open standards: http://w3.org
Effusion Group Founding Member =========== http://effusiongroup.com