Jonathan,

There are no differences between Canada and the US. As you said, it is a
international rule.

You said: “When under power, whether the sails are up or not, a sail boat MUST
display the red / green bow lights and stern light AND a steaming / masthead
light.” This is not entirely correct. You have to display a white light 360
degrees AND the red/green side lights. The rule does not specify How you should
display that 360 degree white light. It can be a single light (as long as, when
you could see the side lights, it is above them) or it can be a combination of
the stern light and the steaming light (i.e. the two lights complement each
other to complete a full 360 degree visibility).

So theoretically (and I do not intend to defend Hunter for doing it this way; I
thin it is silly) you can have a mast-top white 360 degree light and a stern
white light on separate switches and use one (stern light) when you are sailing
and the other (mast-top) when motoring (and they have to be mutually
exclusive). You would have to have the side lights (red/green) on a separate
switch, as well.

btw. I think that if one was showing a 360 degree white light and the side
lights, one would be considered a “vessel under power” (regardless if your
motor is on or off). The only confusion would be that of that vessel’s skipper
(he might think he was a sailing vessel, but nobody else would).

Marek
C270 “Legato”
Ottawa, ON