Bill;

Your boat, your barbeques grill, and a forklift (or a car outfitted with an LPG
conversion kit) all burn LPG vapor. But your friend was correct that in that
vehicle applications all use tanks that are designed to deliver liquid LPG out
of the tank, instead of vapor. There are both horizontal and vertical tanks for
forklifts (cars and trucks usually have permanently mounted tanks) that have a
pickup tube internally that goes to the bottom of the tank. Vapor pressure in
the top of the tank pushes liquid LPG up the pickup tube and out of the tank
valve. AFIK, there are no tanks for boats or barbeques that are available for
horizontal applications because there is no way to ensure the horizontal tank
would not provide liquid instead of vapor. (Liquid instead of vapor would turn
your stove into a flame thrower.)

What is different in a vehicle application is the regulator, which is a rather
large two-stage device commonly called a vaporizer. Liquid is delivered to the
first stage, where pressure is reduced from about 125 PSI to 4 or 5 using
ambient or engine heat. A second stage regulator further reduces the vapor to
about 1.5 PSI for delivery to the carburetor (or throttle body injectors) on
the engine. The two stage process provides better control of the fuel flow for
consistent engine performance.

The boat or barbeque has a 1 stage regulator to provide LPG to the flame, but
the amount of fuel delivered depends on the pressure in the tank and the
temperature in the environment.

LPG is a different animal than CNG. LPG is a liquid at above something near
125PSI, or temperatures below about minus 45 or 50 degrees. CNG can only be
converted to liquid at very high pressures (IIRC something between 4500 and
6000 PSI) or a few degrees above absolute zero. As Joe pointed out, a CNG tank
for a boat (or home barbeque) is essentially a diving tank with a different
regulator, containing gas pressurized to 2500-3000 PSI.

CNG is cheap (as Joe said about $2 per fill up), and I think the energy content
is higher than LPG. But it has never really caught on as a motor fuel for two
basic reasons – it is difficult to get enough gas squeezed into a tank to give
you decent run time for a vehicle, and the cost of the compressor/fill station
needed to fill the tanks is quite high. Before I left the forklift industry,
the entry level cost of a CNG fill station (essentially a high pressure pump
that takes the CNG from the city gas line at 3-4PSI and brings it up to 3000
PSI, and then stores it in a flask for transfer to your mobile CNG tank) was
around $3000-$3500US for a fill station that  would fill a fuel tank every
couple of hours. So the only practical application for CNG is something like a
city bus line where high volume of fuel use and federal subsidies can offset
the very high capital cost of setting up a fill station.

CNG is really nice as a stove fuel. Safer than LPG, higher energy & cooking
times like you’d get on your stove at home, and cheap. But the cost of creating
a fill station will probably mean that it’s never going to be convenient to
refill a CNG tank at a marina or local hardware store.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC