If you stay around the list long enough you'll hear people refer to "dog
bones" in the reef cringles.  They are short pieces nylon webbing passing
through the sail grommet at each of the reef points along the sail luff.
On each end is a SS ring.  The rings keep the dog bones captive.  The
length of the bones is designed so as to accommodate the stack height of
the sail slugs in the mast - shorter bone for the first reef and
progressively lo ger for the second and third.  A sail maker can make the
bones for you the next time the sail is in for service.  Alternatively you
can make them yourself out of some amsteel or other small stuff.  If you
have a cunningham you can even arrange them so that one ring hooks on the
horn and the other is positioned to be hooked by the cunningham.  When
going for the reef I've found it very effective to turn off the wind but
not down wind.  Maybe 60° to 90°.  Release the traveler all the way so that
the main luffs straight back in line with the boom.  Simultaneously ease
the halyard and take in the reefing line.  It helps to have the halyard
premarked so you know that you have lowered it enough.  Once down, hook the
dog bone.  Harden the halyard and then the reef line.  Remember to ease the
mainsheet and vang too so that the boom can rise up to the new clew.  Once
it is all hardened up then you can lash the sail as needed and come back up
to the wind.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+