You might be interested to try Amsteel in lew of wire.  Johnson makes very
nice pelican hooks just for this.  Alternatively you can use a regular
pelican hook.  I particularly like being able to wrap the line around the
ladder which supports the gate and holds the ladder while not marring or
damaging either.  You can also assemble DIY and replace for very cheap.  I
have pictures and additional guidance upon request.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD