From: Andrew Burton via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: July 23, 2021 9:54:37 PM
To: Stus-List
Cc: Andrew Burton
Subject: Stus-List Re: Wire vs. Dyneema check stays

I just finished splicing some dyneema for the running backstays for my Baltic
47. I assume that's what you are calling check stays. So yes, I think Dyneema's
a much better option than wire. We use the boat mostly for coastal cruising,
occasional ocean racing, and occasional ocean passages.
Just FYI check stays are the lower running backstays. On a Star, the running
backstays control headstay tension while the checks control mast bend and are
an integral part of sail trim.
On our boats the runners stop the inner forestay from bending the mast too much
when we are using a staysail and also stop the mast pumping when we are beating
in waves (which is my most common use). We use the backstay for headstay
tension and the runners can stop the backstay from bending the mast too much.
Andy
Baltic 47 Masquerade
Formerly of C&C 40 Peregrine

Andrew Burton
26 Beacon Hill
Newport, RI
USA 02840

phone  +401 965 5260

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 8:45 PM Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
Do you actually use these? Our frers 33 has check stays and although they help
with main shape we rarely use them due to added complications tacking etc

Mike
Peraiatence
Halifax