I made a visit to Lyons on Friday the 6th to walk this stretch of road.
When I got there, there were some new "NO PARKING" signs at the beginning
of the road right where it turns off of Red Gulch Road.  Apparently there
have been some issues with too many people parking there, so the neighbors
got the county to put up signs.  Be careful about where you park, I spoke
with one person who said that they are asking the sheriff to ticket people
who park in that area now that signs are up.

Anyway, after I found a safe spot to park, I had a nice walk.   At the
beginning of the walk there were a couple of Bullock's Orioles, one of
which was very vocal, and I spotted one American Dipper on the stream which
quickly disappeared when a couple of mallards flew by. One canyon wren was
out for a brief appearance, and vocalized a couple of times as well.  Two
house wrens were working on a nest at the top of a dead snag, and a couple
of American Goldfinches were chirping merrily as I walked by.  I didn't see
any swifts, but there were around fifty swallows (mostly Violet-Green)
flying around the cliffs on the north side of the canyon.  There were a
bunch of Cowbirds hanging around the corral with the horses in it, and a
little further on I saw a Virginia's warbler working through a flowering
bush.

Looks like spring is here, and the little birds are back!

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO