<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z0l196Qh5sI/V6ZVUKPKFDI/AAAAAAAAACQ/fOyft3YLtQc_Td1PLK8p4Hg1nMxKz5HLgCLcB/s1600/Terns%2Band%2Bgrebes.jpg>
Hey all -

I stopped by Baseline Reservoir in Boulder this afternoon to see what might
be hiding out there.  I saw a Great Blue Heron and a Pelican wading in the
shallows where the canal goes under Cherryvale.  Looking out across the
reservoir, I saw a few gulls, what looked like a couple of Western Grebes,
and some odd-looking gulls sitting on the buoy balls in the middle of the
res.  I pulled out the scope, checked on the grebes, and one was a Western,
and the other a Clark's.  It was great having them side by side, as the
Clark's had a much brighter yellow bill, and white all around the eye.  I
then turned to the "gulls" on the buoy balls, and it turns out they were
Common Terns, not gulls at all.  There were three of them as of about ten
minutes ago -  3:00 pm - and they had been there for at least an hour or
so.  I observed a black cap on the head, extending to the back, brownish
primaries, orange legs and and orange bills with a black tip.  I am
guessing that they are Common Terns rather than Forster's, but since this
is the first time I have seen either one, I am not 100% positive on that
ID.  I tried to take some pictures, but my camera didn't get very good
focus at that distance.  I am posting one picture here, but as you can see,
the detail is limited.  I did manage to get the two grebes in the shot,
though.
As a bonus, I saw several common mergeransers and a lark sparrow on the
shore near the parking area as I was getting ready to leave.

Happy birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO