<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cf4BVHSgEWU/WZCeTyCtBRI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/2mh0FEidIUEM1YteDW20z6eDI2OpxnXngCLcBGAs/s1600/Northern%2BMockingbird%2B2.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OsBaxSPyPd0/WZCeYFG6btI/AAAAAAAAAKU/rOZP7hi6M5E2YeJkXBqFvo_sS35Jx0CnQCLcBGAs/s1600/Northern%2BMockingbird%2B3.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0M9C7p_Yuys/WZCedJUcz0I/AAAAAAAAAKY/JvNdIe4SC-AHEE-PXLjf5_Vb15KfXNbRACLcBGAs/s1600/Northern%2BMockingbird%2B1.jpg>

Hey all -

I was at Walden Ponds a couple of weeks ago, and saw what I thought was a
Northern Shrike.  The light was not real good, but it was in an area that I
see them regularly at other times of the year.  I went back this morning to
see what was out there, and found it again in the same area.  It was acting
a little more skittish than the Shrikes that I have seen in the past, so I
followed it around for a little while to get a better look.  After some
deliberation, I have to conclude that this one is a Northern Mockingbird.
At one point, I saw a pair of them, the second one was much browner, but
they seemed to be moving together from tree to tree.  I didn't get a good
look at the second one, but it seemed to have the same type of white
patches on the wings.  My pictures are not the best, but I think they are
adequate for identification.  The one that looks like a bunch of branches
is the second bird leaving from it's perch.  It was sitting still until I
took the picture ...

Another interesting bird that I saw out there today was what I think is an
Dusky-Capped Flycatcher.  It was a pretty light grey on the back, and had
light orange patches under the secondaries.  The head had the typical peak
on the back, I thought Western Wood Pewee at first, but the light color
wasn't right for that, so I took a closer look.  Unfortunately, I didn't
get a picture, as I was trying to get a good look through the binoculars.
Using Sibley, the Ash-Throated Flycatcher is the only flycatcher with
orange under the secondaries that shows up on the range maps for this area,
but this one didn't look that large.  I didn't get a very long look, maybe
30 seconds or so before it flew off into the woods.  I waited around for
awhile, but didn't see it again.  I didn't see any yellow on the belly, but
it was facing partly away from me.  I didn't see the underside of the tail
either, unfortunately.

There were the usual bunch of Snowy Egrets on Cottonwood Marsh, along with
several Great Blue Herons, a juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron, a female
Cinnamon Teal, a Solitary Sandpiper and three Wilson's Snipe.

I drove by Baseline Reservoir on the way home, and there were fifteen
Common Mergansers swimming along Cherryvale.

Good Birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder