Well, I received a reply from another birder who suggested that perhaps
there was both a Mockingbird and a Shrike in that location, based on the
pictures.  I thought I was following one bird, and then a second one of the
same species showed up, but perhaps there were two different birds in the
same vicinity, and I was not mistaken about a Shrike on my earlier visit.
When I saw the bird, my first thought was that it was a Shrike.  Shortly
after it saw me, it flew into a tree where visibility was not optimal, and
then flew off into another bunch of trees.  I followed it, and took the
photo on the bottom at that point.  After some time, it flew off, and I
followed it the best I could, and it eventually landed in a tree where I
took the top photo.  Another bird landed in the same tree about the same
time, which I thought was a different bird, but perhaps I had them mixed
up. The middle photo was taken to try and ID the second bird, but it took
off just as I clicked the shutter button.   I need to go back ...

JP