I birded the Saguache area (all in Saguache County) and it was a bonanza of
colorful birds. I have never seen so many hundreds of Evening Grosbeaks in
town! Amazing.

*Russell Lakes:* Great Egret and Canvasbacks were highlights.

*Road 46.* Take Road Z west from Saguache to Rd 46 and go south to stream
crossings: Northern Waterthrush, Gray Catbird.

*In Saguache Town:* Many hundreds of Evening Grosbeaks and Pine Siskins.
When you enter the town, it sounds like going into an aviary, loud with all
sorts of birds singing. A few reasons why is that Chinese Elms are seeding
and this is a big attraction for grosbeaks and siskins. Another reason is
that the town is gridded with a network of small ditches that flow water.
Finally the town has done some excellent landscaping and there is a variety
of spruce, elm, cottonwoods and crabapples for outstanding cover. very
little street traffic to worry about either. You might get a few "looks" as
not a whole lot of birders walk though town.

It took me a while to sort through the songs but heard a rising buzzy
warbler. After considerable effort, I saw the male American Redstart at the
Museum building. Black-headed Grosbeak, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Lewis's
Woodpecker, many Western Tanagers, and some Cassin's Finches. A Swainson's
Thrush stayed in the dark shadows of the habitat.

All in all, a fabulous day in Saguache. I know it will change by the day so
enjoy it if your path takes you this way.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO