________________________________
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleather...@msn.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:43 AM
Subject: Double-crested Cormorant at Sheldon Lake, Fort Collins (Larimer)

The adult cormorant that sat on the floating dock on the north side of Sheldon
Lake (City Park, Fort Collins) yesterday provided an opportunity to study this
common species up close.  Did you know the mouth lining of breeding plumaged
Double-tufted (aka Earmuffed) Cormorants is brilliant turquoise?  Same color as
the eye orbits.  I think you would have to be another cormorant to take this
bird seriously during courtship.  My caption for this grainy pic taken with my
cell phone thru the scope is, "Honey, have you seen my other earring?"

Other possible captions:
"Does my new haircut make me look fat?"

"Somebody downtown mistook me for Frank Sinatra today.  Who's he?"

If my father were still alive, he would no doubt use the line he did with
outlandishly dressed kids we would encounter while taking walks on the Ohio
State campus during the 60's: "Hope your team wins."

  [cid:c8917e33-cf51-4357-b9e9-2db6fa46456b]

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins