On 3 mar 2008, at 18.14, Nir Soffer wrote:

On Mar 3, 2008, at 18:24, Mattias Arrelid wrote:

I have an application that I need to restart.

Why do you want to do that?

A scenario could be that the entire contents of the .app bundle has been replaced with new stuff (e.g. the case with Sparkle).

An easy way to do this could be:

[[NSWorkspace sharedWorkspace] launchApplication:executablePath];
[NSApp terminate:self];

The problem is that the above solution results in confusion in the system dock; sometimes the original application does manage to quit before the new instance, other times not. If it does NOT manage to quit before the new one is launched, the dock ends up with two icons for my application; one that indicates that the application is launched, another one that's indicates that it's not launched. This is NOT good.

I've seen other programs in need of a restart (e.g. the Sparkle framework) using a separate helper application that simply checks whether the original process has quit properly before re-launching it. This sure does work, but it isn't a pretty solution.

Seems pretty to me. You want use a separate process to make this work reliably.

It works, but I'd say it was prettier if there was a framework call to accomplish this.

Regards
Mattias