Larry,

I believe it's expected behavior on Leopard, though you may want to file a bug at least against the documentation. The following links provide more information on this topic:

http://lapcatsoftware.com/blog/2008/01/06/logging-in-leopard/

http://boredzo.org/blog/archives/2008-01-19/next-week-apple-system- logger

-Jeff