Hey Jack -

IB syncs with Xcode whenever a document comes to the foreground and there is an open project for that document. IB only syncs the files as the appear on disk, so if you have unsaved changes in an editor window, IB won't pick them up. IB also only pulls in the headers from the project you are working with. If you're using multiple projects, you may need to read the headers for base classes manually.

Hope that clears things up -
Jon Hess