On 2008 Mar, 21, at 17:04, Kyle Sluder wrote:

My guess is that since dyld doesn't support @loader_path on 10.3.9,
your framework isn't loading,

Hmmmm...but the first NSLog() in the framework executes and logs. Does that not prove that the framework must be loaded?

and therefore your category resolves to
NULL.  Once you try to use it, you crash because the runtime tries to
dereference this NULL identifier.

Although this is weird, it acts more like some methods in the parent Cocoa class are not being found. But some are. Here is a complete list of what I've found, including some not shown in the demo:

Does not cause crash:
   -[NSString length]
   +[NSString initialize]
   +[NSString class]
   +[NSDictionary initialize]
   +[NSDictionary class]

Causes crash (in 10.3 only):
   -[NSString stringByAppendingString:]
   -[NSString rangeOfString:options:range:]
   -[NSScanner scanUpToString:intoString:]
   -[NSDictionary dictionaryWithObject:forKey]

More info here:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2007/May/msg00076.html

In that thread, the trouble was with a bundle containing a plug-in, not a framework. The solution mentioned for a framework is to set the framework's Installation Directory to:

   @executable_path/../Frameworks

which I am already doing, (but neglected to mention in my original post).

This is, the way I've always done it, with frameworks that work, and is, I believe, the "normal" setting for a private framework which is in the app package.

Just a simple app using a simple private framework, to run in 10.3.9-10.5. Nothing fancy!

Thanks for the ideas, though. I shall keep studying (and hoping that someone knows the answer).

Still stumped,

Jerry