On Mar 21, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Jeff LaMarche wrote:
As for books, I believe that a number of the stalwart Cocoa books, such as Aaron Hillegas' are in the process of being revised for the Leopard changes due out this year some time, but I don't think there is anything yet available that deals with the newest stuff like Objective-C 2.0. That being said, the bulk of the conceptual material is still applicable, so you won't be harmed by using one of the books available now.

Hillegas has some words on his website about the differences between his second edition (Tiger) version and the brave new world of Leopard and Objective-C 2.0, so a book plus a web "errata" is pretty close.

The main thing you'll have to watch for: Objective-C 2.0 has garbage collection available, like Java and scripting languages you're familiar with, but it's off by default, and earlier Macs don't have it. You'll probably have to learn the old way, "retain and release," which is unique to Objective-C.

-==-
Jack Repenning
Chief Technology Officer
CollabNet, Inc.