>> ...but since most uses of documents
>> over time tend to be to view...
>
> That really, really sticks out for 2 reasons: 1) for the person creating
> the
> documents, that's not so true and 2) it really hints at the MS/media
> cartel
> attitude that users are, or ideally should be, mere passive consumers...
>
>> As I mentioned, users can override this if they wish for individual
>> documents, through Finder.
>
> Which is a pain in the ass. How often do you really think users create a
> document in one go and never edit it again??? For the documents that users
> actually create, rather than consume, they edit them quite often--usually
> far more often than just viewing them.

Agreed. Also, there's the Open With menu. I have about 10 different
applications that can edit a sound file, and each of them has different
strengths that I would choose to use. What really irked me is when some
piece of Toast hijacked most of my audio files because it assumed all I
would do with them is burn them to a CD.

My $0.02

-Kevin