On Apr 15, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Nick Rogers wrote:

but i want to write the length of (NSData *)data, before I write it to file because I will be writing a lot of NSData to the file, so that I will be able to read the length first and then read the following NSData. SO how can I write the length which is an integer to file before I write the NSData.

Don't use NSFileHandle, then. Use NSOutputStream, open it on the file (I don't think you have to create the file beforehand) and use its - write:maxLength: method to write whatever bytes you want.

(Though to be honest, I don't ever do this. If I want to read and write bytes from raw files like that, I just use the standard C APIs like fopen, fread, fwrite...)

But are you really sure you need to roll your own file format and I/O code for this? It's annoying code to write, it has to deal with byte- ordering issues, and bugs in your code will often have nasty side effects like corrupting files or even allowing a maliciously-crafted file to take over your app. Why not just collect the NSDatas in an NSArray and call -writeToFile: on it? Then you could be done with the whole task in two minutes.

—Jens