Hi

I've created a borderless NSWindow that is used to draw a grid (via CALayer instances - each line is a CALayer instance). The window is shown at the Screen Saver window level, thus overlapping everything. In my tests there are 3 or 4 lines in either direction, i.e. we're not talking about thousands of layers here.

When my grid window is being shown - and I move other applications around underneath it, I see flickering of the grid image lines. To me it looks like the shadow of a window (created via the window manager of course) is overwriting my grid lines briefly, but they do get re- drawn again.

To view this behaviour, check this link - I've created a movie to show this. Of note is:
- the yellow line that appears is one of the layers
- it fades in/out
- it appears to be chopped in half, watch the differences between the left hand portion of the line and the right hand, the redraw is horizontally very uneven.

link:
        http://gallery.mac.com/john_clayton/100132

Each line is one layer CALayer instance, with a border width of 1 and a filters property set to use a bloom.

Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? I'd appreciate any tips that might lead to a solution I can share.

Thanks

--
John Clayton
http://www.coderage-software.com/