On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Jens Alfke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 5 May '08, at 5:34 AM, Christian Graus wrote:
>
>  NSXMLElement *node2  = [array objectAtIndex:nodeCount];
> >
> > NSXMLElement *name = [node2 attributeForName:@"Name"];
> >

> 'name' should be declared as NSXMLNode*, or you'll get a compiler
> type-mismatch warning. (But that doesn't explain why its -stringValue would
> be nil.) Try setting a breakpoint after this line in the debugger, then in
> the debug console enter "po name" and it should print the XML corresponding
> to that node*.

Thank you for the hint on using po.  I am very new to all things Mac (
although, I was there when the first Mac was shown in Melbourne, way before
I ever saw a PC.... ), and I am still working out how the debugger in XCode
works.  As for NSMXLNode, I moved to NSXMLElement to get access to
attributeForName, I was using NSXMLNode before that, still to no avail.

>  I cannot work out how to access the inner Text of the node
> >

> [node2 stringValue]. (NSXMLElement inherits that from NSXMLNode.)

OK - I was trying that and got nothing back.  As in, the debugger seemed to
be telling me the value was null.

>  The attributes collection should be 15 odd objects, and it's 0.
> >

> Hm, I don't see why that wouldn't work. Again, at your breakpoint type "po
> node2" and see what XML it contains; you might not have gotten the element
> you expected.

Thanks - hopefully this is going to really help me work out what is going
wrong here, although I suspect we're going to move to the DOM implimentation
I found in the docs last night.  Using a standard interface would really
help me, especially as there doesn't seem to be any intellisense in XCode.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Christian