On 5 May '08, at 2:30 PM, Christian Graus wrote:

As for NSMXLNode, I moved to NSXMLElement to get access to attributeForName, I was using NSXMLNode before that, still to no avail.

No, I meant to change this line:
        NSXMLElement *name = [node2 attributeForName:@"Name"];
That should be declared as NSXMLNode*, because that's what kind of object attributeForName: returns. Changing the pointer's type won't affect what the object itself is.

although I suspect we're going to move to the DOM implimentation I found in the docs last night.

AFAIK, the only DOM APIs are in WebKit, and require you to use a WebView. They're not meant for general XML parsing. NSXML is actually a lot more powerful in that it allows you to use XPath and XQuery expressions to find and extract values really easily.

Using a standard interface would really help me, especially as there doesn't seem to be any intellisense in XCode.

I'm not sure what Intellisense is; some Microsoft IDE thing? If you mean autocomplete, Xcode has that, although the default key bindings for it are pretty arcane. Search the docs for the commands like Next Completion and Completion List. And you can Command-double-click a symbol to jump to its definition in a header, or Option-double-click to view it in the API documentation.

—Jens