Am 09.05.2008 um 22:34 schrieb Western Botanicals:
That is wierd, because Xcode hasn't given me any warnings.

Leaks are semantic errors, not syntax errors. Xcode can not validate your algorithm, it can only make sure that the commands in it are well- formed. Since memory allocation and deallocation happens at runtime, the compiler would have to run your program to actually find the leaks, and would have to try out every code path in it, which is not (yet?) possible for a computer.

You may want to look at chapter 6 of my C tutorial if you're not sure about memory management and leaks. It doesn't address Cocoa and CoreFoundation memory rules, but it explains the inner workings of memory, which should be of some help in making it more obvious why Xcode can't detect leaks.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de