I was going to with sample code to show it, but I didn't see any documentation that said file locks and link counts were guaranteed.

The Finder (or its underlying API) was smart enough to check link counts and gave notice the file was inuse. But rm just wiped it off the FS and left nothing to map from. This tells me link counts and locks are not checked by every FS API nor is it enforced at the FS level.