>  In this respect, an object is entrusting a task or responsibility to
> something else that has no direct control over the 'superior' object's
> workings, but the 'superior' object is relying on the 'delegate' to
> perform some task if necessary or to find something out and let it's
> 'superior' know if it's okay/safe/whatever to do something.

  Two corrections to this. First, please ignore the atrocious "it's"
error. ;-) Yes, I'm a petty, arrogant man. Second, I need to make this
point a bit clearer:

"In this respect, an object is entrusting a task or responsibility to
its named delegate, if the delegate chooses to accept the task, or the
object is giving its delegate a chance to perform some task before
continuing. The delegate has no direct control over or responsibility
for the superior's task, it merely finds something out for, answers a
question posed by, or perform some additional work for its superior."

--
I.S.