Hi,

I'm writing a model class that uses (in order to access on on disk database) NSFileManager to read directory contents, and so I'm using the method:

- (NSArray *)contentsOfDirectoryAtPath:(NSString *)path error:(NSError **)error

(directoryContentsAtPath is depreciated in 10.5, and this is the replacement. Yes, I'm writing 10.5 or higher code)

My question is what is accepted practice when I get an NSError back? Reading the Error Handling Programming Guide I get the idea that errors can be passed up the responder chain so that the user can be alerted, and take action. Thing is, as I said, this is in a model class (super is NSObject), so it isn't a responder and not part of the responder chain. Nor is this a document based app, so I'm not using NSDocument or NSDocumentController.

I'd like to alert the user when things go wrong, but I don't see a way of getting the NSError back to a responder. I feel like there's a missing link somewhere.

Thanks

Paul