On May 27, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Satsumac wrote:
It's not that much about strictly technical questions like "how do I get this to do that?", but rather questions like "okay, I can think of several ways to do this, it's just that I have no clue which path to take?"

Books like Hillegass or the documentations teach you how to do this or that specific task in a very good manner. But what I'm really missing are some lessons on how to glue the pieces you just learnt together to form a real app.
[....]

Ps: Is there any generic(!) open source app that you would recommend me to study to learn more about how to structure an app at best? Optimal would be an app that's not too specific in functionality (extensive use of libraries e.g.) and gives a good idea about app structure in general.

Have you looked at the examples that get installed with the developer tools? In particular, under the "AppKit" subdirectory there's the source to TextEdit and a simple drawing application named Sketch, both of which are pretty good examples of small but complete applications.

Or to something completely different:
I have created a NSPopupButton in IB. I also created some MenuItems for it in IB.
How can I identify the current menu item?

My usual technique is to assign either a tag (in InterfaceBuilder) or a representedObject (if the menu is being populated at run time) to each menu item. Keeping the numeric tags in .nibs in sync with enum values in code can sometimes be a pain, though. It's also sometimes reasonable to key off of the menu item's action selector (in an implementation of -validateMenuItem: or -validateUserInterfaceItem:, for example).