It looks like most of the calls are coming from [NSArray indexOfObjectIdenticalTo:], half of which are from [NSSubTextStorage release] and [NSTextStorage removeLayoutManager:]. I'm not exactly sure why, as I didn't think I was directly touching the layout manager.. is it being re-created every time I update the string or something?