On Friday, June 06, 2008, at 10:24AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>As big of a fan as I am of both RubyCocoa and PyObjC, I would never
>recommend either of them for use by someone relatively new to Cocoa
>(of which it sounds like the OP might be).
>
>Even with the awesome quality of the bridges -- and RubyCocoa / PyObjC
>are not the only ones -- there is still too much of an impedance
>mismatch between the two running environments for it to be considered
>easy to use.    A far more productive approach is to reduce the number
>of variables by gaining confidence / competence in pure Objective-C
>based Cocoa, then adding whatever scripting language you are familiar
>with into the mix after.
>
>b.bum

As someone that is actually doing precisely that (learning Cocoa by using
RubyCocoa), I'd have to disagree.  The 'impedence mismatch' is really quite
small (so far, I have only hit one nasty case), and it means that you don't
have to fully learn Objective C's syntax at the same time as Cocoa. Obviously
you do have to learn enough ObjC syntax to be able to read the documentation,
but that's a far easier task than learning to write ObjC code (and I say that
as someone that writes pure C code for a day-job).

Anyway, I guess it comes down to personal preferences.  But I don't think the
problems of the scripting bridges are significant enough to justify a blanket
'don't do this if you're a beginner'.

Alli