On Jun 7, 2008, at 00:07, Antonio Nunes wrote:

Although I maybe did not make it that clear, I actually meant my suggestion also as a question. I'm surprised no-one else suggested to temporarily turn of garbage collection for this pointer. I'm curious as to why Bill suggested his solution rather than directly instructing the garbage collector, since that would seem to me the more obvious solution. Is Bill's solution preferable in any way? (After all, I'd like to improve to the level where I know what I'm doing ;-)

I can think of one significant difference. Using CFRetain/CFRelease (or your slightly more general equivalent) is a procedural solution -- you would need to make sure there was a matching release on every execution path out of the relevant code.

Using something like '[data self]' is a syntactic solution. It doesn't matter whether it gets executed or not, but its mere presence far enough down the source code is all that's required.

Depending on the circumstances, one or other approach might be preferred.