On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Jason Stephenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As someone who has worked on a number of 3rd party [open source and
> otherwise] frameworks, I wonder where this attitude comes from in the case
> of Cocoa/Mac OS X. I have some ideas, but I hesitate to share them.

Four things:
1) There are certain basics like regex support that people are upset
at Apple for not implementing because it seems like such an important
part of the concept of strings.
2) Licensing issues can arise for third-party frameworks.
3) Objective-C has no namespaces, and categories are fragile.
4) Linking against a third-party framework requires distributing the
framework inside the app bundle.  Look at the proliferation of
Sparkle.framework to see why this is a Bad Thing(TM).

--Kyle Sluder